6.3.10

Ten Weeks, Eight Pounds

Handstand on a scaleI stepped on a scale just before the end of the year. To my dismay and surprise it was the largest number I have ever seen while weighing myself. How did I gain ten pounds over the last year? I mean, I was at least somewhat active. Okay, I hadn't actually worked out in over four months, but I was working and staying busy being a father, husband, and friend.

Anyway, I knew I needed to start exercising once again. I started with a simple plan. I worked out five days a week for half an hour a day doing body weight exercises in between laps. A sort of circuit of running, push-ups, body weight squats, pull-ups, and core exercises among others. I have to mention that the pull-ups were on a machine that assisted me at first. I couldn't do a single pull-up then.

After four weeks I increased the time I worked out to 45 minutes and I also started to emphasize the cardio portion of the workout more. A half hour spent on the elliptical trainer was typical before going to do my body weight exercises.

I feel better. I have more energy during the day and I don't have to go to bed so early. I have lost eight pounds over the last ten weeks. I think the key to keeping this up is simple: variety. I have yet to do the same workout two days in a row. I also keep switching up the weeks working on endurance on week, explosive strength another, and maximum strength the next week.

I am not doing anything special other than that. I have not really changed my diet that much although I have made sure that I am eating a wide variety of foods. The last four years or so I ate mainly a vegetarian diet. I have eaten more meat the last two months than I have the previous two years. Moderation, variety, and paying attention to my body has been my "diet" plan.

I guess what I am saying as I ramble is that it doesn't seem that losing weight is a mystery. You don't need a fad diet. You don't need a gym membership. You don't need any expensive equipment. As with most things in life, all you need is a willing attitude and a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment